About the Institute
January 29, 2020
Edward M. Kennedy Institute to host conversation on historic comparisons to contemporary political issues on Thursday, January 30
Academic and historical experts to provide insight on topics from early American history that reflect the country’s current challenges
BOSTON – On Thursday, January 30, the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate in partnership with the Massachusetts Historical Society will welcome history experts to discuss how the nation’s founders grappled with many of the same political issues that our country faces today. The panel will reflect on the difficulties of political polarization and approaches to health care during the time of our nation’s founding and how we can use these lessons of history to address modern political challenges.
• Liz Covart, Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture; Host of Ben Franklin’s World: A Podcast About Early American History
• Stephen Fried, Author, Rush: Revolution, Madness & the Visionary Doctor Who Became a Founding Father; Adjunct Professor, Columbia University and University of Pennsylvania
• Sara Georgini, Series Editor, Papers of John Adams, Massachusetts Historical Society
• Nathaniel Sheidley, Ph.D., President and CEO, Revolutionary Spaces
• Fred Thys, reporter for WBUR, to serve as moderator for this conversation.
Our Nation’s Founders and Today’s Political Challenges
Thursday, January 30, 2019, at 6:00 p.m. ET
Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate
210 Morrissey Boulevard on the UMass Boston campus
About the Edward M. Kennedy Institute
The Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, civic education organization in Boston envisioned by the late Senator Edward M. Kennedy. Through a range of exhibits, interactive educational offerings, and topical programs, the Institute engages students and visitors in a conversation about the essential role each person plays in our democracy and in our society. Learn more via emkinstitute.org.
Press Contact Info
For media inquiries, please contact: