About the Institute
Edward M. Kennedy Institute Education & Visitor Experience Volunteer Program
Become a volunteer at the Edward M. Kennedy Institute and make a difference in our democracy.
Institute volunteers are an essential part of teaching future generations of leaders about government, the importance of civic engagement, and the need for bipartisanship. Volunteers bring these ideas to life by guiding visitors through exhibits and supporting programs.
If you share these goals and would like to be a part of the Institute, join the volunteer team. No experience is necessary and the Institute offers an extensive training program. Being comfortable leading group tours and working with visitors is essential.
Volunteers receive several benefits, including discounts in the Institute café and gift store. They can also attend free enrichment classes and programs, which include guest speakers and special training seminars.
Volunteer responsibilities may include:
- Greet visitors and orient them to the Institute
- Act as exhibit interpreters, providing background information and historical detail as reflected in the Institute’s exhibits
- Assist visitors as they interact with the Institute’s exhibits using state-of-the-art digital technology
- Creatively engage visitors in the Institute’s mission
- Help to guide visiting groups - including middle and high school students, university students, government officials, families, tourist groups, and members of the general public - as they experience life as a “Senator-in-Training”
- Support Institute special events and public programs
- Experience in customer service, education, and/or history strongly preferred
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Friendly, upbeat, welcoming attitude
- Flexibility performing various roles
- Outgoing personality, with the ability to interact with a diverse group of visitors
Enthusiasm for/interest in:
- Civic education and civic engagement;
- Political Science;
- Public Policy;
- Museum Studies; and/or
- Honoring and furthering the legacy of Senator Edward M. Kennedy
Eligibility / Commitment:
- At least one four (4)-hour volunteer shift per week is required, in addition to the initial volunteer orientation and ongoing volunteer training/enrichment sessions
- Should possess willingness to assist, as opportunities arise, in support of the Institute’s special events and public programs
How to Apply:
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Volunteer Application” in the subject line. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. This is an unpaid position and is not eligible for benefits or unemployment compensation.