About the Institute
The Volunteer & Intern program manager provides vision for and takes the lead in developing and implementing innovative programs, collaborative events, and partnerships that enhance the growth and effectiveness of EMK Institute’s volunteer, internship, and floor interpretation programs.
Who We Are:
The Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate is dedicated to educating the public about the important role of the Senate in our government, encouraging participatory democracy, invigorating civil discourse, and inspiring the next generation of citizens and leaders to engage in the civic life of their communities.
About this Role:
The Volunteer & Intern program manager provides vision for and takes the lead in developing and implementing innovative programs, collaborative events, and partnerships that enhance the growth and effectiveness of EMK Institute’s volunteer, internship, and floor interpretation programs. The VIP Manager is responsible for creating a climate of service excellence with the volunteers and interns and other Institute staff. The VIP manager is responsible for attracting, recruiting, supervising and guiding placement, training, supporting, evaluating and retaining excellent and effective volunteers and interns. The VIP manager develops and maintains all volunteer and intern intake and record-keeping, including evaluation of work performance, and supervises the development of all volunteer and intern scheduling. The VIP manager works collaboratively with EVE colleagues to ensure that the educational programs implemented by volunteers and interns is effective and enhances the Institute’s Visitor experience. The Incumbent is responsible for developing an effective volunteer recognition program, to implement it, and to routinely evaluate it, as well as to develop and implement educational opportunities that benefit volunteers and interns. The VIP manager will work closely with their supervisor and others at EMK responsible for revenue generation to target appropriate partnership opportunities in higher education and the community that have the potential to enhance revenue. The VIP manager supervises the exhibit floor coordinator, interns and volunteers. The VIP manager serves on EMK Committees as assigned and can represent the Institute with internal and external groups as designated.
- Ensures self-sustainable growth for the Volunteer and Intern program by developing and implementing an effective recruitment plan. This includes attending and creating events, building a solid network of interpersonal and inter-organizational contacts (local community businesses, civic groups and higher education institutions) to recruit qualified candidates from, as well as posting opportunities using various outlets such as social media, Internet and print.
- Improves the current orientation, training, evaluation and professional development/enrichment programs for volunteers and interns.
- Outlines a clear learning plan for educational interns and works collaboratively with other EMK colleagues to implement.
- Assists the volunteers and interns in identifying and working towards their educational and personal goals, while providing necessary support, to ensure a fulfilling experience for VIP members.
- Increases revenue-generating streams by creating partnerships that will participate in paid programs such as College SIMS, event bookings, paid guided tours, future visitation.
- Develops and maintains data metrics in support of volunteer and intern programs to track intakes, staffing schedules, evaluations, and all VIP related records;
- Develops, recommends as well as manages the VIP annual budget
- Establishes methods for program retention, recognition, and completion of intern-driven research projects.
- Supervises the Exhibit Floor Coordinator assisting with problem solving, implementing procedures and achieving goals.
- Oversees and solves daily challenges.
- Implements VIP guidelines and procedures and achieves performance goals.
- Promotes the current and potential roles and functions of volunteers and interns among Institute staff.
- Collaborates with the EVE department staff on enhanced interpretation experiences.
- Works directly with Human Resources to ensure that outreach and messaging to external candidates aligns with other outreach and recruitment efforts done by the Institute.
- Works directly with the Operations department, specifically with the Director of Business Development and Events and the Events Coordinator to execute functions for outside partners driving revenue.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Works effectively with diverse groups of people
- Demonstrates a passion for promoting civic education to people of all ages
- Ability to collaborate and be an effective team manner
- Possesses the personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to the EMK Institute’s mission
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Working knowledge with Microsoft Office applications, including but not limited to Microsoft Excel
- Interest and/or experience in promoting civic engagement and education about history and function of the United States Senate
- Working knowledge of Google workplace applications
- Superior organizational and time management skills
- Willingness and ability to work as part of a team of professionals in an open-office environment.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision and/or direction
- Demonstrated flexibility and efficiency while working under pressure with a diverse group of individuals
- Takes initiative and demonstrates reliability
- Empowers individuals to establish a commitment to the Institute and its mission
- Ability to work nights and weekends is required
The successful candidate will have prior experience in a customer service setting with a demonstrated track record of willingness to take initiative and meet emerging challenges. Able to demonstrate effective communication abilities and to present ideas clearly. Experience in a fast-paced, multi task environment.
How to apply:
Please email résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the title ““Volunteer and Intern Program Manager” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls. EMK does not retain external search firms. No solicitation calls will be entertained.