About the Institute
Reporting to the Education and Visitor Experience Program Manager, Visitor Services and Sales Associates are welcoming, helpful, and engaging with groups and visitors. The role requires enthusiastic and outgoing individuals who will greet visitors and groups, explain and sell admission tickets and gift shop merchandise, provide answers and recommendations about visitor experiences offered at the Institute, implement visitor surveys, collaborate on strategies and implementation for outreach to community groups, tour groups, and other potential visitors, and find ways to advance the Edward M. Kennedy Institute’s mission in a collaborative and forward-thinking manner.
- Greet all guests in a cheerful and welcoming manner, and provide high-level customer service to all Institute visitors, in person, on the telephone, and online
- Handle sales transactions quickly, efficiently and accurately, and responsible for accurate handling of all monies
- Understand all Kennedy Institute offerings, visitor experiences, products, programs, and gift shop items to best match the needs and interests of visitors
- In collaboration with manager and other Institute staff, will assist in developing and implementing an outreach and sales plan to connect Kennedy Institute offerings with individuals and groups, including cultivating sales lists, contacting current, former, and potential group visitors, and collaborating on developing attractive programs and products for target audiences
- Will be called upon to be part of the team that engages in outreach at community events to promote the Institute
- Maintain a neat and professional appearance and workspace at all times
- Adhere to strict confidentiality policies regarding the Institute and its visitors
- Follow and promote a safety-conscious workplace, placing the security of visitors, staff, interns, and volunteers as a top priority, including collaboration with Institute security staff
- Willing to learn aspects of the visitor experience, including visit facilitation, as required by manager
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required in support of the Institute
- Education: High school diploma required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Strong communication skills required, with experience in sales, retail, education, customer service a real plus
- Sales experience preferred, including experience in innovative marketing techniques and connecting with new customers
- Cash handling experience a plus
- Ability to relate well to the public and have a high level of customer service skills
- Proven ability to respond to changing needs and priorities
- Familiarity with point of sale systems
- Possesses the personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and reliability
- Ability to take initiative and effectively problem-solve while working in a public setting
- Ability to create and maintain good working relationships with a variety of diverse internal and external team members
- Ability to pass a criminal background check required
- Ability to identify and carry out projects independently
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands and work environment described for this position are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Duties are performed indoors in an office/workstation environment. Duties may require extended periods of standing, walking, sitting, talking, hearing, and long periods of computer viewing.
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com, with the title “Visitor Services and Sales Associate” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls. The Institute does not retain external search firms. No solicitation calls will be entertained.
The Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.