About the Institute
The Program Assistant is responsible for making relevant, engaging, and unique learning experiences available to student groups aged 8 to 18 and their visit to the Institute as seamless and as connected to in-school learning as possible.
Who We Are:
The Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate is dedicated to educating the public about the important role of the Senate in our government, encouraging participatory democracy, invigorating civil discourse, and inspiring the next generation of citizens and leaders to engage in the civic life of their communities.
About this Role:
The Program Assistant is responsible for making relevant, engaging, and unique learning experiences available to student groups aged 8 to 18 and their visit to the Institute as seamless and as connected to in-school learning as possible. Reporting to the Director of Education, Family & Youth Programming at the Institute, and working with direct oversight from the Education Manager, this person is a key member of the education team. They will work closely with the Education Manager and Director to identify, incorporate, and grow relationships with various educators and institutions, create and/or edit materials that contribute to the Kennedy Institute’s overall educational program offerings, and handle logistics for student and other groups at the Institute. This person will also work closely with the communications team to improve communication with the Institute’s education community. The Program Assistant will work with Visitor Services, Visitor Experience and the Interpretation staff to schedule and balance student groups with overall planned visitor demand for a given day.
- Serve as primary contact for all groups arranging for trips to the institute both on the phone, email, and day of visit; Coordinate with other departments on logistics for space requests, photo releases, communication with groups and program timing.
- Present programs and conduct tours as needed;
- Contribute to the creation of educational materials such as curricula, visit support materials, educational marketing materials as required by program and as suggested by Education Director;
- Coordinate with Education Manager to develop and implement evaluation strategies on programs and prepare reports on that feedback;
- Collect and maintain meticulous data records on educational programs and help prepare data reports;
- Help coordinate Professional Development programs for educators in partnership with other organizations, as required;
- Participate in activities focused on raising institutional support such as: tours and interviews, programmatic demonstrations, grant writing, etc.
EDUCATION: BA in education, history, political science, or public history or related field, or equivalent record of professional achievement and qualifications with a demonstrated track record of success.
- 1-2 years professional experience with identifiable examples of multitasking, customer support, and iterative development helpful;
- High level of comfort with data collection and report generation required.
- A strong ability to write, produce and edit for an educational audience preferred;
- Solid research and good public speaking ability preferred;
- Proficiency in all major Microsoft Office and Adobe software, and social media platforms required;
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Commitment to excellent customer service to all visitors, including educators; and providing access to programs that excite students and energize educators into amplifying discussions about the U.S. Senate, its role in American government and history, and ways we can all become more civically engaged;
- Passion for US history and civics and providing excellent programs for educators, students, and learning partners;
- Adept at multitasking, quick thinking, and problem solving;
- Thrives in an energetic, collaborative work environment and enjoys fostering networks of learners and practitioners;
- Ability to create and maintain good working relationships with a variety of diverse internal and external team members;
- Fluency with Microsoft Office, Google, Filemaker, or other popular database software required;
- Ability to pass a criminal background check required
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com, with the title “Program Assistant” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls. EMK does not retain external search firms. No solicitation calls will be entertained.
The Edward M. Kennedy Institute for The United States Senate is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.