About the Institute
The Director of Information Technology (DIT) provides strategic conceptual, technical, and operational leadership for the Institute's technology services (educational and administrative)
Who We Are:
The Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate is dedicated to educating the public about the important role of the Senate in our government, encouraging participatory democracy, invigorating civil discourse, and inspiring the next generation of citizens and leaders to engage in the civic life of their communities. We at the Kennedy Institute believe that civic education and engagement includes learning about important historic and contemporary policy issues, understanding how the issues are addressed inside and outside our democratic structures of government, and taking action on civic issues in ways that reinforce democratic practices and broaden democratic participation. The Kennedy Institute strives to provide balanced, transparent, and inclusive civics education experiences that make room for conversations between people of broad ideologies and perspectives in respectful, productive ways.
SUMMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Director of Information Technology (DIT) provides strategic conceptual, technical, and operational leadership for the Institute’s technology services (educational and administrative). The DIT is responsible for developing and sustaining the technology infrastructure of the Institute including managing external vendors and directing internal IT staff, as well as developing and effectively managing resources allocated for technology at the institute. The DIT is responsible for ensuring the effectiveness and security of the organization’s internal/external facing IT operations, overseeing the ongoing development and maintenance of a customer developed software exhibit and website platform, and streamlined and responsive technology enabled business processes for the Board and staff. The DIT focuses on a broad array of technical support services to internal customers (visitors, Board and Program/business unit users), collaborates with facilities and programming staff on program execution, and directly manages vendors that supply infrastructure solutions.
The DIT ensures that the Institute’s IT infrastructure is effectively aligned with its strategic business priorities. The DIT is a member of the senior leadership team and participates with this team and the Interim Executive Director in strategic planning activities, participates in key Board deliberations, and acts as a senior liaison and partner with assigned external organizations.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participates in and contributes to regular strategic planning activities on programming and business priorities in order to develop and align technology support effectively.
- Partners with Education and Public Program leadership to identify, structure and execute projects to maintain and enhance the technology supporting the Institute’s programming.
- Develops and enhances the technology delivery policy and process to ensure scalable, repeatable, and predictable delivery of projects and services.
- Develops strategic relationships with and manages the work/budget of technical partners and vendors to enable growth and sustainable long-term technical development.
- Effectively develops and manages a team of internal technology staff assigning them to projects and tasks matched to their talents and skills and challenging them to develop new skills and innovative approaches to problem solving in their areas of responsibility.
- Plans for and manages the budget and technology resources assigned to IT to ensure effective services to visitors and business units.
- Oversees testing and troubleshooting of internal and external technology products and networks, including those supporting audio/visual applications.
- Oversees the ongoing development and maintenance of a custom developed software exhibit and website platform.
- Performs targeted business analysis activities as necessary to deliver projects and technology services.
- Develops and oversees maintenance of a comprehensive program of technology systems, network, and equipment security.
- Oversees support for tablets and audio/visual equipment, and related network interfaces, used by visitors and Program staff.
- Oversees on-site and remote service to external and internal clients, including computer support, software installation, and troubleshooting for all workstations, laptops and peripheral equipment.
- Develops and maintains Disaster Recover/Business Continuity Plan.
- Oversees routine testing of failover and backup systems to assure Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity.
- Provides advice and insights on strategic issues, planning and general business matters.
- Acts as a liaison with assigned external partners on Columbia Point and in the broader community.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Systems Administration, Software Engineering required or equivalent record of significant professional achievement and qualifications with a demonstrated track record of success.
The Director of lnformation Technology should demonstrate a track record of increasing levels of responsibility and leadership in their previous assignments. They should possess strong communication and problem-solving skills. The incumbent must have extensive technical capability, business acumen, be a strategic thinker and possess excellent customer/client focus. Various supervisory experiences would be preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to lead and manage staff and projects at the senior level.
- Broad knowledge of technology applications and skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to research and solve technology problems.
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Able to participate in senior level management team deliberations.
- Experience with organizing and coordinating multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Experience managing a diverse IT engineering and/or IT development organization.
- Ability to help identify root causes in a complex environment as well as prioritize tactical tasks vs. strategic projects.
- Must have experience supporting administrative servers or platforms, both physical and virtual, as well as desktops/laptops, printers, projectors, and all other technological equipment.
- Familiarity with enterprise technology applications.
- Familiarity with development technologies.
- Web Content Management System experience.
- Video routing management experience.
- Audio Visual projection maintenance experience.
- Software Quality Assurance experience.
- Telephone and Conference experience.
- Familiarity with development infrastructures.
- Ability and willingness work nights and weekends as needed
- Windows Workstation and Server Operating Systems
- Mac OSX, Google Apps
- Cisco networking administration
- Microsoft Office
- Java (Play Framework); AngularJS
- HTML 5; CSS
- Android Mobile applications
- Amazon Web Services
- gitHub, Jira
The physical demands and work environment described for this position are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Duties are performed indoors in an office/workstation environment. Duties may require extended periods of standing, walking, sitting, talking, hearing, and long periods of computer viewing. The job may also require periods of pulling/pushing items, lifting and carrying items, stooping, and kneeling. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case-by-case basis.
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com, with the title “Directory of Information Technology” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls. The Institute does not retain external search firms. No solicitation calls will be entertained.