About the Institute
The Director of Communications is responsible for strategic oversight and management of internal and external communications for the Edward M. Kennedy Institute. This individual is passionate about the importance of civic engagement and committed to helping the Institute tell a compelling story to audiences.
The Director of Communications is responsible for strategic oversight and management of internal and external communications for the Edward M. Kennedy Institute. This individual is passionate about the importance of civic engagement and committed to helping the Institute tell a compelling story to audiences. This individual is responsible for promoting, enhancing, and protecting the Institute’s reputation via traditional and digital media as well as proactively pitching and placing stories that advance the organization’s objectives. The Director oversees all communications and marketing activities for the Institute, serving as a key member of the external relations team and working closely with the Chief Strategy & Public Affairs Officer, CEO, and senior leadership team to advance the Institute’s strategic goals and initiatives.
- Lead a team dedicated to sharing an integrated, effective Institute message that increases visibility and clarifies brand; oversee all marketing, communications, multimedia and graphic design for the Institute.
- Responsible for leading media relations at the local, regional, and national level to promote, enhance, and protect the Institute’s reputation.
- Develop and implement opportunistic and long-range communications strategies for improving the public understanding of and interest in the Institute as a place to visit and a place to support.
- Plan and implement positive, proactive media strategies as well as respond to inbound media inquiries.
- Lead and develop content for special Institute projects and campaigns such as strategic plan implementation milestones, national polls, convenings and presentations, and more.
- Responsible for effective and integrated communications and marketing on all platforms, ensuring consistency of tone, messaging, and identity.
- Supervise the development of a comprehensive marketing strategy thoughtfully integrated with communications in order to yield cohesive methods for telling the Institute’s story and attracting donors, partners, audience members, social media followers, and visitors.
- Advise on, align, and implement internal, external, and executive communications. Draft outlines and remarks for Institute principals. Prepare fact sheets, briefings, scripts and storyboards, press releases, blog posts, letters, and other vehicles for publication and communication.
- Review and edit content prepared by various departments for external publication and distribution.
- Develop thought leadership content to help build the Institute’s brand and leadership voice; increase visibility of Institute leaders through speaking and editorial opportunities.
- Serve as ambassador to the Institute and spokesperson for; represent the Institute at external convenings and events.
- Make recommendations and manage the contracts of outside agencies and consultants to round out staff capacity.
- Staff and support Institute events and programs, including those held on evenings and weekends.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned in support of the Institute.
Education Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent record of professional achievement with a demonstrated track record of success and increasing responsibilities. Degree in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism preferred.
Experience Minimum of 7 years of documented experience in communications, public relations, marketing, or advertising with a proven track record of increased responsibility. Public sector and private industry experience preferred. Previous experience managing a team strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, experience writing speeches for principals, and presentation development skills
- Strong project management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Strategic and analytical thinker, with ability to translate complex ideas into easily understood stories
- Advanced skills in communicating with the media
- Proven ability to build lasting relationships across diverse organizations
- Collaborative, creative approach and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations
- Ability to prioritize competing demands and work in fast-paced environment
- Both a strong team player and an independent contributor
- Ability to travel locally and out of state as required
- Ability to pass a criminal background and credit check required
- Ability to work nights and weekends as needed
- Candor, humor, and the ability to know when to leverage each one
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com, with the title “Director of Communications” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls. The Institute does not retain external search firms. No solicitation calls will be entertained.
The Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.